A Bend In The Road Of Recovery

A way in which I can vent my spleen about things that are really only important to me.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Wednesday Night

Well, I had hoped to have cookies made, but it wasn't a good night for it on Monday, so tonight is all about the cookies! I think I'm making several batches of different kinds of cookies. My cousin gave me a recipie for some spice cookies that look good, so I think I'll try that, too. We'll see what happens. Jenn is coming over to Rob and Ka`ai's house. Normally, I would just do it at my house, but Ka`ai wants to make cookies, too, so I said I'd bring my stuff over so that we could all make cookies. I've got to go and pick up some butter, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract - plus whatever ingredients are needed for the spice cookies. I'm excited. I figured, if I can make six different kinds of cookies, everyone can get two of each for a nice dozen. Does that make sense?

It's rather quiet in the office today. Arthur is out in Indiana today. He had to go on a company errand which required him to be in Indiana to get a truck and drive it all the way back to Omaha. Oh well. I asked him if he was sure that he would be back by Thursday, and he said, "Oh, I'll be back for Thursday - you don't have to worry about that." (Yay!) And it's not so much what he said as how he said it. You know what I mean? So, hopefully, he'll be back by tonight and be in the office tomorrow. I even gave him some jelly beans for his drive back. I hope he took them with him and didn't leave them here. Oh well.

Oh, and the reason that I wanted to make sure that he was back for tomorrow is because we're supposed to be going out after work. No, not just Arthur and me, but all of our co-workers. It should be a fun outting - especially since word's gotten out that I've not partied before and stuff. Anyway, that's why I want to make sure that he'll be back here tomorrow.

Other than that, there isn't anything else going on. Dora performed well with protection work last night. She was far too excited to do any obedience training, but Rob said that she did an excellent job with her protection work. He said that she has a nice, deep bite, and when she re-grips, she naturally takes the bite all the way to the back of her mouth. He also said that her grip is really good. For example, the way in which we make a dog "out" an object is to grab their collar and lift them straight up. This makes the dog uncomfortable and the dog will automatically "out" whatever is in his or her mouth. With Dora, last night, she was biting a bite pillow. I grabbed her by her collar and held her straight up for about two minutes. Usually, she'd drop it because there's only so much air that she can get, but she held on so tight that I had to pull her up by her pinch collar. Even then, it took a minute or so for her to let it go. I guess she was really into the protection work last night. (She should be because she hadn't had a bite for about three weeks so far.) The next step is to start tracking. Pua - that's an exercise where we lay a track (stomping our feet in the ground and laying some food in various parts of the track we're creating) and the dog has to pick up on our scent, follow the track, lie down whenever there's an article in the track (for advanced dogs, we use articles), and find the article at the end of the track where the dog has to lie down with the object between his/her feet.

So, that's how yesterday went. Monday turned out to be a good night for Jenn and I to hang out. We kept reciting lines from The 40 Year Old Virgin and it was too funny for the two of us. Anyway, tonight is cookie night and tomorrow is bar night. Wish me luck with cookies tonight and with Arthur tomorrow night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home